IGCSE Economics is a theoretical study of such topics as markets, government economy, global economy and the law of supply and demand. It focuses on underlying principles and theories, rather than the day to day practicalities of running a business.
This is a two year course and is designed to give students a sound understanding of economics, and the ability to use knowledge, skills and understanding appropriately in the context of individual countries and the global economy.
The course aims to encourage students to:
- Develop an understanding of economic concepts and be able to apply these concepts to real life situations
- Interpret and evaluate economic data in order to make reasoned arguments and informed judgements
- Develop an awareness of economic change and its impact on developing and developed economies
- Understand economic issues, problems and possible solutions that affect mixed economies
- Participate effectively in society as citizens, producers and consumers.
The assessment of this qualification is through a single tier, examination paper lasting 2 hours and 30 minutes, set and marked by Edexcel.